As this was our first free photo walk since the pandemic shut things down for over a year and a half, we wanted to make sure we started off simple. Just get out and shoot.
What started as a shoot about “murals and plants” evolved into a discussion on how to shoot when the weather takes a turn for the worse. That, and a chat about self-worth as a photographer, how to pose people, and the difference in viewpoint between “artist” and “technician”.
We started at the farmer’s market parking lot in Traverse City, MI, but quickly wandered through the city’s tunnels and under it’s bridges, all to dodge rain and find unique lighting.
We ended our bridge troll days, and ventured up to the boardwalks to explore the once flooded boards. This whole area is surrounded by water, greens, and dark wood.
Finally, as the rain ended, we found ourselves at the marina as the mega fog rolled in! We watched a tall ship sail into the harbor complete encased in the clouds, quietly feeling like a ghost ship. Here we talked about posing, and the “impostor syndrome” that grips most photographers at some point in their career.
It felt SO SO good to be back out shooting with this beautiful community of people, after so long locked indoors. We already have plans for the next few photo walks, and are planning the rest of the season right now.
Put Sunday, July 11th 2021 at Plant Masters in Sutton’s Bay, MI in your calendar as the next photo walk. We will be doing a hybrid:
First part will be a paid “Camera 101 live shoot”
Second half is a free photo walk open to all
- Our Photo Walks are open to all ages, all skill levels, and just all good humans
- Our Photo Club community is a uniquely welcoming and inclusive community of creatives willing to share their time and grow together
- We meet monthly, but our events are scattered all over the calendar, so make sure you follow us on facebook, instagram, and YouTube in order to keep up on our current events
- We cover all manner of photography topics, plus unique creative challenges to kick your creative mind into high gear
- We can’t wait to meet you!